Canada are still searching for their first victory in any match since 2012. In search of this elusive first victory, Canada manager Benito Floro has decided to go for an experienced squad for the upcoming friendly match against Jamaica. Canada’s last when came in a World Cup qualifying match against Cuba in 2012. Since then, there have been a string of draws and several defeats along the way. Benito Floro will be in charge of his first match at home since taking over the national team job in 2013. The Spaniard has decided to call up a number of experienced players in the 23 man squad.
It is understood that the team will be preparing for this match from August 31. The training will be taking place north of Toronto, and it will not be before September 6 that the team will be making the trip down south in order to take part in the match. The friendly is set to take place on September 9 at the BMO Field in Toronto. The squad has a number of players playing in the MLS and this is likely to help Canada given that the MLS is in the middle of the campaign. Players are likely to be much fitter and this was a huge advantage during the World Cup 2014 for the US national team.
“As you can imagine for me, this is a very special game because it’s a chance to correspond with the supporters. So I would like a very good game—not only to pick up a win but to also get a good performance. We’ve seen several Jamaican games and we consider them to be a physically good team. This means that technically and tactically it is a very good test for us,” said the former Real Madrid head coach.
A few days ago Luis Enrique directed his first training session as the manager of Barcelona as the summer transfer window for the Spanish club is believed to be reaching its end after having signed a number of players that will be strengthening the squad from all sectors of the pitch.
Marc- Andre ter Stegen, Ivan Rakitic, Gerard Deulofeu, Rafinha, Luis Suarez, Alen Halilovic and Jeremy Mathieu are all of the players that have arrived to Camp Nou as the new performers for Barcelona.
There still are a few more targets that Luis Enrique wants to sign before the transfer window reaches it end but the main objectives have been signed which was Luis Suarez, the goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen and a defensive reinforcement with Jeremy Mathieu.
The new coach Luis Enrique revealed some details concerning what he is planning to do with the squad in the next season as he focused on saying that he wants his players to play ‘’nice football’’.
“We’ll use all the resources we’ve got, one of which is being unpredictable leaders are created, they appear and have appeared. I want a team that scores goals, defends well, is loyal to its style and wins games playing attractive football. I am a born leader myself, and I lead this team. The challenge is making this have the right impact on the team I don’t just want results, I also want to win playing nice football’’ Luis Enrique told reporters during a media conference
Luis Enrique has a tough debut season ahead of himself as he has to prove that he is the right man to lead the team and be able not only to compete with Real Madrid but against some of the best clubs in Europe as they have to play in the Champions League in the next season. He was given a substantially large transfer budget for him to upgrade the squad and now the world will be able to see if it was spent appropriately with the next season scheduled to being on August 24.
Juventus general manager Beppe Marotta says that he is baffled by the decision of Argentine national team manager Alejandro Sabella not to involve Carlos Tevez in the national team squad in the last few years. The former Manchester city man has not played for the national team since 2011. His last appearance in a major competition for Argentina was in the Copa America in 2011. His absence has been classified as due to non-football reasons, which is even more surprising for Marotta since he finds Tevez as one of the professional players he has worked with.
Tevez moved to Juventus in an £ 10 million deal from Manchester city and he has been one of the regular first-team players for Antonio Conte’s men. Even though the presence of Tevez has failed to inspire them to reach the knockout stages of the Champions League, he is proving to be more than an important player by helping the team reached the semifinals of the Europa league. Tevez has already scored 18 goals in the league this year. It is because of these reasons that Marotta finds it hard to justify that the 30-year-old has been omitted from the national team squad on a regular basis.
Marotta also says that Tevez is one of the few players who aspires to wear the national team jersey. “Clearly Tevez is a man and therefore aspires to wear the jersey of his country, especially at a World Cup. He deserves it for his talents, but the coach makes his decisions. I think it is down to non-football situations we don’t know. As a professional, Tevez accepts this decision with disappointment, but understanding, realising he can gain satisfaction elsewhere in his career,” said Marotta.
Argentina open the World Cup 2014 with a match against Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Canada is expected to become an incredibly popular destination for soccer after winning the rights to host the two major FIFA events for women’s soccer. Canada will be holding both the 2014 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup and the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
These two tournaments will be taking place in seven cities across the country and it is expected to draw at least 2 million fans from all over the globe. The nation is preparing to make hay with this news, as it is expected to be followed by several announcements linking with the development of infrastructure across the country.
The FIFA head for the women competitions, Tatjana Haenni stated that this was indeed a great news for women’s soccer. FIFA are planning to expand the game to all corners of the globe and not just to Canada. Men’s soccer is now only picking up pace in the North American country. There have been a few Canadian teams included in the MLS, while more are set to be added in the near future. Toronto, Montréal, and Edmonton are expected to be some of the top destinations at these major tournaments.
They may not attract the attention as men’s tournament, but Canada believes that they can certainly help improve the profile of the nation as a soccer country, according to www.ilovemanutd.com.
“The world needs to see good women’s football. We hope that we can reach so many countries worldwide to further develop football, not only in the world but also in Canada. It’s important for us to hold these events in countries that can show the world that women’s football is at a high level and is developed and has success stories. That hopefully helps other countries to jump on the train,” said Tatjana Haenni.
Haenni is expected to visit Canada in the next few days.
Earl Cochrane has been appointed as the deputy general secretary of the Canadian Soccer Association from January 1 and he will be acting until a permanent solution is found. Cochrane has been out of work for the last few months after being released by Toronto FC where he served as the director of the team. He was also in charge of the player operations as well. He is one of great experience and Canada’s Soccer Association will be extremely happy to have appointed him.
CSA general secretary Peter Montopoli has stated that the association is extremely happy to have Cochrane on the board. The coming few years are extremely important for Canadian soccer since the country will be hosting the likes of the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup and FIFA Women’s World Cup in successive years. CSA will also be looking to bring in many changes for the upcoming World Cup qualification for the men’s tournament. This will include the new domestic player development system.
CSA’s press release has said that Cochrane will be looking after several aspects of the association including the likes of player registration, national competitions, and player transfers. He will also oversee several aspects of the local clubs as well.
“We are pleased to welcome Earl Cochrane back to our Canada Soccer team. Earl is an organized and versatile sports professional whose experience will be extremely valuable to our organization as we prepare for two of the most important years to date for our sport in this country,” said CSA general secretary Peter Montopoli. “Cochrane will oversee the soccer administration of Canada Soccer, including sport governance, discipline and appeals, player registration and transfers and national competitions,” said the press release from CSA.
Canada have failed to qualify for the World Cup 2014, but will be hoping that the fortune changes in 2018.